What to expect after the procedure
Following the procedure, the treated area is bandaged and a compression garment placed over it. The compression garment is worn for one to two weeks. Your doctor will likely recommend keeping the head and neck elevated.
Post-surgical issues include:
- Pain, which may last as long as two weeks, is usually managed by a prescription or over-the-counter medicine.
- Bruising last up to two week.
- Swelling last two weeks to two months
- Numbness lasting several weeks.
- Possible drainage in the treatment area, depending on the surgical technique.
Most patients can go home the day as the surgery, though you will need to have someone else to drive you home. Patients receiving general anesthesia are generally discharged at a later time. Patients can usually resume normal activity several days following surgery.
Final results will be apparent one to six months following surgery, depending, in part, on how quickly swelling subsides.