Before the procedure, an ASDS dermatologist will usually review the patient’s medical history and conduct a physical exam. This is the time for the doctor and patient to discuss expectations, potential risks and outcomes of the procedure. Patients also should:
- Tell your doctor about any medications you are taking, including herbal supplements, as well as any allergies, especially local anesthetics or contract dye containing iodine.
- Tell you doctor about any special cold sensitivities.
- Avoid taking aspirin, non-steroidal anti -inflammatory drugs or blood thinners for a specified time prior to the procedure.
- You doctor may recommend taking ibuprofen, and/or an antibiotic a half-hour prior to the procedure.
- What to expect after the procedure
Cryosurgery often causes temporary side effects, including:
These conditions will fade gradually several days following treatment.