What to expect after the procedure
Following treatment, the ASDS dermatologist will bandage the treatment area. Patients will be required to:
- Clean the treatment area after the first 24 hours and then four to five times a day thereafter.
- Apply an ointment, such as petroleum jelly, after cleaning to prevent scabs from forming.
Laser resurfacing patients also can expect the treated area to:
- Swell for 24 to 48 hours after treatment.
- Itch or sting for 12 to 72 hours after treatment.
- Slough and peel off old skin five to seven days after treatment.
Healing typically takes 10 to 21 days, depending on the size and location of the procedure. After the treatment area is fully healed, patients should:
- Use only oil-free makeup for at least two to three months.
- Avoid sun exposure and apply an appropriate sunscreen to the area, which will have a ligther appearance following resurfacing.
- Keep new skin well-moisturized.