How to Choose the Best Skin Care Products
Looking for a quick fix to erase wrinkles, tighten skin, reduce the signs of aging or treat acne could be as easy as a trip down to the local drug store. However, with so many over-the-counter products available, the beauty aisle can be overwhelming. Some skin care products are overpriced and make claims they can’t support. Other products that claim to “take years off your face” could be misleading and ineffective.
According to the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, over-the-counter products for skin rejuvenation and preservation can be very effective if the consumer knows what to look for. It’s best to research the product and its ingredients to find the products that work best for your specific skin type. The most expensive products are not always the right products for certain skin types.
When searching for an over-the-counter product, ASDS offers the following tips:
- Do know your skin type: Before purchasing over-the-counter skin care products there are some basic facts to know. Whether skin is dry, oily or sensitive could greatly impact how the product interacts with your skin.
- Do create a daily skin care routine: The key to success with most skin care products is repetition. Establishing a daily routine is important, especially with anti-aging creams. Don’t be discouraged, it may be six to eight weeks before seeing improvements with over-the-counter remedies.
- Do be cautious of “miracle” products: Skin care products that seem “too good to be true” probably are, so use your best judgment. Reputable product lines are the best bet and likely to be most effective and safe.
- Don’t buy products without doing research: When purchasing products read the labels to find the active ingredients. If there are ingredients that are unfamiliar, look them up to find out how they work. For example, products claiming to contain Botox could be deceptive as Botox is only effective when injected directly into the underlying muscle.
- Don’t forget to use products that contain sunscreen: Protecting skin from the harsh sun is important. Choosing beauty moisturizers and creams that contain at least SPF 30 is crucial and will help to maintain youthful looking skin.
- Don’t hesitate to ask a dermatologic surgeon: If any doubts remain about the most appropriate skin care product, or an over-the-counter product is not getting the job done, consult a dermatologic surgeon for help. To find a local dermatologic surgeon, click here.