Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery Fellowship Training Program Accreditation
The ASDS does not monitor or manage the fellowship application process. To check the status of your application, please contact fellowship program directly.
The ASDS is pleased to launch the first-ever accreditation program for Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery Fellowship Training Programs beginning in 2013. The purpose of the program is to accredit the Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery Fellowship Programs designed to meet standards of quality and to promote practices that provide Fellows with the proper training and expertise to perform cosmetic dermatologic surgery procedures. To comply with the required training and experience, all Fellowship Training Programs must documents compliance with the specified guidelines. To ensure programs meet these requirements, a site review of all new programs will be conducted and cyclical visits made thereafter.
Fellowship Training Programs
All Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery Fellowship Programs accredited by the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery will be one year in duration and begin either on July 1, August 1 or September 1 of each calendar year. The principal objective of such programs is to educate dermatologists in advanced cosmetic dermatologic surgery procedures to be performed in private offices or community hospitals, as well as to initiate the process of academic development in those individuals who aspire to careers in the university hospital environment. In addition, faculty will engender in the Fellow the skills and enthusiasm required to maintain a lifelong commitment to continuing education in the field of cosmetic dermatologic surgery.
The emphasis of the Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery Fellowship Curriculum is the acquisition of knowledge and skills based upon specific categories. With only one Fellow per two faculty members, there is ample opportunity for hands-on experience, as well as intimate faculty exposure and one-on-one learning. The Fellow assumes gradual clinical responsibility under the critical review and supervision of the Fellowship Director. The principles of cosmetic dermatologic surgery and Core Competencies are expressed and reinforced during daily interaction with the Fellowship Director and staff. In addition, the Fellow will assume some of the teaching responsibilities of the dermatology residents.
Key Components of Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery Fellowship
- One calendar year of training in the office/facility of the Fellowship Director where the majority of time is spent training.
- The Fellows must participate (perform/assist) in 300 cosmetic dermatologic surgery cases under the direct supervision of the Fellowship Director or Associate Fellowship Director in at least five (5) of the eight (8) categories of procedures identified in the Procedures Table. With respect to each of the five (5) categories chosen, the Fellow must perform/assist in the minimum number of cases required for the overall category while evidencing coverage of the breadth of the procedures included therein.
- The Fellow must observe 1000 cosmetic dermatologic surgery cases under the direct supervision of the Fellowship Director or Associate Fellowship Director in at least five (5) of the eight (8) categories of procedures. This can include the 300 cases performed/assisted. With respect to each of the five (5) categories chosen, the Fellow must observe the minimum number of cases required for the overall category while evidencing coverage of the breadth of the procedures included therein.
- The Fellow must receive didactic and clinical instruction in all areas of the curriculum.
- Exposure to experiences designed to augment their training: writing and reviewing clinical manuscripts, attending local and national conferences, presenting at clinical conferences and teaching residents.
Congratulations to the following fellowship programs for receiving full accreditation:
Goldman Butterwick Fitzpatrick Groff & Fabi, Cosmetic Laser Dermatology
Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation Dermatology
Massachusetts General Hospital Dermatology Laser and Cosmetic Center
You can find the detailed information for all the programs in the DermSurg Fellowship Finder.