International Preceptorship - Guidelines
The American Society for Dermatologic Surgery International Preceptorship Program has been established through the Lawrence M. Field, MD, International Dermatologic Surgery Education Exchange Fund. The primary goal is to enhance the exchange of information and body of knowledge for an international Preceptee through a visit to the U.S. or Canada.
International Preceptee Applicant Must:
- Be a member of the ASDS or other International Dermatologic Surgery Society (based on approval by the Selection Work Group), practicing dermatologic surgery full-time in a non-U.S. dermatologic surgery private or academic institution.
- Submit the completed application and all other required components including:
- Curriculum Vitae (3 pages or less)
- Proof of licensure in Dermatology
- Recent electronic photograph
- An essay outlining their career goals and how preceptorship will have an impact your future practice in dermatologic surgery
- An estimated budget for the trip from international destination to the U.S./Canada
Prior to the visit, the preceptee is required to:
- Review the International Preceptorship Program Guidelines.
- Review and sign ASDS International Preceptee Agreement and Release of Liability.
- Confirm arrangements by US Preceptor of any necessary legal licensure.
- Confirm necessary insurance coverage for activities related to the visit.
- Arrange for transportation and Visa to the Preceptorship country/institution at the lowest economy cost available.
- If approved by the Preceptor/Host institution: May arrange to be accompanied by an assistant if necessary, with travel and hotel accommodations covered at their own expense.
After the visit, the preceptee is required to submit the following to ASDS:
- Complete ASDS expense form and receipts for reimbursement.
- A one-page summary of your experience for the ASDS to use in future promotions of this program.
- Complete ASDS evaluation of the visit.
- Present on his/her experience during the ASDS Annual Meeting if invited to do so.
- Submit a photo(s) from your visit for the ASDS to use in future promotions of this program.
- Be an ASDS Member in good standing within the U.S. or Canada.
- Provide a current CV for Work Group approval.
- Submit the completed ASDS International Preceptorship application – One time (unless there are changes).
- Must offer a minimum of four days teaching for the visit; longer if amenable.
- Be open to hosting international preceptee in their home if possible.
- Secure and confirm with the Preceptee the Preceptorship length/dates.
- Complete a short evaluation and provide a follow-up report/critique of the visit for program files and possible publication in ASDS communications.
- Present experience at ASDS Annual Meeting if invited.
- Submit a photo(s) taken during the visit to use for future promotions of this program.