Learn more about the treatment option available for aging hands
As collagen and fat in the hands dissipates, veins and tendons can take on a pronounced appearance, making the hands look bony and unattractive.
Why treat aging hands
Beside the face and neck, no area of the body shows the appearance of aging as clearly as the back of the hands.
What you need to know
Loss of smoothness and plumpness in the hands is a natural and unavoidable part of the aging process. Your ASDS dermatologist can, however, improve the appearance of your hands.
|Roberta F. Palestine, M.D., says people often focus so much on facial rejuvenation that they forget about their hands.
Do's and Don'ts
- Use a moisturizer on your hands as needed.
- Use a sunscreen.
- Use a product containing Vitamin C.
Smoke.Go in the sun without protection.Get too thin; skin can respond to rapid weight loss by becoming haggard in appearance.
Aging hands treatment questions to ask a dermatologic surgeon
(Download an Aging Hands Questionnaire to bring to your appointment)
Which aging hands procedure is the correct one for me? (What are the options?)
- What is the estimated cost of the procedure?
- How long is one appointment?
- How often will I need to receive treatment to treat my aging hands?
- How far apart are the treatments?
- What are the common side effects of complications associated with the procedure?
- How can I prepare for the treatment/procedure?
- Does the treatment hurt?
- What are my pain management and anesthesia options?
- Do you have before-and-after patient images to help to prepare me for what to expect?
- Will someone walk me through the process before going in for treatment?
- What are the risks?
- What should I expect after the procedure is performed? (i.e. short-term and long-term effects; activity restrictions; expected recovery period)
General questions to ask before aging hands procedures
- Is a doctor on site?
- Is the doctor board-certified in dermatology or in another specialty with equivalent training and experience?
- Was my medical history taken?
- Was I given an initial evaluation to determine if the technique or procedure is appropriate for my skin type?
- Did the doctor show me before-and-after photos?